Damon Braces: What Exactly Are They
& How Are They Different?
As orthodontic technology has advanced, so have the treatment options available to get the smile you’ve always wanted. Gone are the days of grey metal braces being your only option. These advancements in technology mean a wider variety of treatment options. Some of which mean less treatment time and/or virtually invisible orthodontic appliances.
One of these alternative options to traditional braces is Damon braces. In this article, we’ll break down exactly what the Damon System is and how these braces are different compared to other forms of treatment.
What Are Damon Braces?
Invented by Dr. Dwight Damon of Damon Orthodontics in Spokane, WA, the Damon System is a revolutionary tie-less, self-ligating appliance. These braces are fitted and applied to each tooth the same way as traditional braces but instead of having brackets that tighten and adjust the braces regularly, Damon braces use a patented slide mechanism that attaches an archwire to the brackets. This allows them to move naturally with the teeth as they are realigned. This means that there are no periodic visits needed to have the braces manually tightened like traditional braces or the need for tight elastic o-rings on each bracket.
The Damon System works without the pressure produced by traditional braces. The teeth are gently guided, with less discomfort, into their ideal position through the low-friction nature of the system and the light-force shape-memory wires that are used. This makes the overall treatment process easier, better looking, and able to provide great results in often a shorter time frame.
Different Types Of Damon Braces
There are two types of Damon braces. The Damon System is available in both metal and clear brackets. Even with their metal braces brackets, the system is more discrete since the brackets themselves are smaller both in overall size and profile compared to traditional brackets. They also have smooth, rounded corners for improved aesthetics and comfort.
With the Damon clear braces, it may be hard for people to tell you’re wearing braces at all since the small brackets are made of stain-resistant clear ceramic. Unlike other options of clear braces with more visible metal parts or elastic O-rings that often yellow during treatment, Damon Clear braces are virtually invisible. They provide a superior aesthetic solution for patients looking for an even more discreet treatment option.
How Damon Braces Are Different
The more gentle, “sliding-door technology” in the Damon System uses 500 to 600 times less force than traditional braces, which often require additional treatment through palatal expanders and tooth extractions. Treatment with the Damon System is customized based on several factors when first diagnosing your smile. Your orthodontist will factor in your facial structure, profile, and other factors to anticipate what your smile will look like into your 40s, 50s, and beyond.
These braces go beyond just straightening your teeth. The Damon System is effective on not only your teeth, but also the arch of the mouth, facial profile, and airway. This helps create a fuller smile and better facial balance. One of the biggest differences is the fact that the Damon System gives you a broader smile than conventional braces. This is done by increasing the arch, creating a more defined smile arc that follows the lower lip, and not only straightening the teeth but ensuring they are evenly upright. The broad arch smile produced by these braces reduces the appearance of dark triangles at your mouth’s corners and improves the overall facial profile.
The Damon System reduces the friction applied on the teeth compared to traditional braces that use elastic ties on each bracket. Traditional braces use elastic ties to hold archwires in place. Unfortunately, elastic ties create friction which can slow treatment down. Also, the Damon System helps maintain better oral hygiene by eliminating the elastic ties. The elastics O-rings have been proven to attract harmful bacteria and plaque that can damage gum health.
Pros and Cons Of The Damon System
As with anything, there are both pros and cons of Damon braces to take a look at when evaluating what treatment option might be best for you.
- Better overall appearance: The metal Damon brackets are smaller than with traditional braces. Virtually invisible, the Damon clear brackets make them even more aesthetically pleasing.
- Faster treatment time: Several comparative studies have shown that many Damon braces patients finished their treatment an average of 7.2 months sooner than those with traditional braces.
- Less time in the orthodontist office: Since these braces are self-ligating, patients need much fewer appointments to have the appliances adjusted, compared with traditional braces that are adjusted manually.
- Less pain: The Damon System puts much less pressure on the teeth. With these braces, patients have reported 60 percent less discomfort compared to traditional braces.
- Less friction on the teeth: The low friction design promotes efficient tooth movement and preserves the tooth roots. This avoids erosion and prevents gum recession and tooth loss.
- Extremely effective: Damon braces are often more effective at correcting severe tooth crowding and, in many cases, eliminate the need for tooth extractions.
- Not totally invisible: Even though they are smaller, Damon braces do still have brackets and a metal archwire that is visible to others, so they are not completely invisible. However, if you opt for Damon clear braces you avoid the metal brackets and minimize the visibility of the braces a little further.
- Mouth irritation: As with any orthodontic treatment, they will experience some mouth irritation for the first few days until you get used to them.
- Cost: In some cases, depending on the length of the treatment plan and other factors, Damon braces can cost more than traditional braces. Of course, different orthodontic offices have different rates depending on location and may offer financing options to make them more affordable.
- Length of treatment time: Depending on the specific case and type of treatment plan needed, the length of treatment could be nearly the same as traditional braces.
Damon Braces vs Invisalign
If you are looking for less visible options for orthodontic treatment you may be trying to decide between Damon clear braces and Invisalign clear aligners. While both can be virtually invisible, these two treatment options do have some distinct differences.
The biggest difference is the fact that Invisalign and other clear aligners are removable and can be taken out for a couple of hours a day when eating and brushing/flossing your teeth. Damon braces are non-removable (unless by your orthodontist) and fixed to the teeth, working the full 24 hours a day.
Invisalign, and other clear aligners, is the most discreet method of orthodontic treatment with no metal components at all. Damon clear braces have clear brackets but will still have a metal archwire that will be visible. Not everyone is a candidate for Invisalign, however, which is most effective when used for teeth that only need mild correction. When more moderate to severe correction is needed, Damon clear braces are going to be the more effective choice.
Which option will be right for you will come down to the extent of treatment that is needed for tooth crowding or other issues. Your orthodontist can help you determine if the Damon System or Invisalign will be the most effective for you.
Visit The Specialists In Damon Braces In Springfield PA
Damon braces are a great option for those looking for an effective, less discrete, and often more comfortable orthodontic treatment to achieve a beautiful smile. Especially if you are needing more moderate treatment for tooth overcrowding. The Damon System is an effective option for both children and adults.
If you are looking for Damon braces in Springfield, PA, contact the expert team at Cooke & Gutsche Orthodontics, a Damon Premier Provider. We can answer any questions you have about the Damon System and help you get the smile you’ll be proud to show off. Schedule your appointment for a consultation today!